sábado, 30 de abril de 2011

La Torre de la Plata.



En algunas ocasiones hemos hablado de la afamada Torre del Oro que está junto al río Guadalquivir. Dicha torre, de carácter defensivo, pertenecía a las murallas almohades de la ciudad.
A pocas cuadras de la Torre del Oro, y también perteneciente a las murallas defensivas, estaba la Torre de la Plata (siglo XIII) que por ser más austera que la primera y menos bella tomó un nombre de menor categoría, menos áureo y más argento.
La Torre de la Plata fue restaurada en 1992 cuando toda Sevilla se embelleció para recibir los turistas para la Exposición Universal de dicho año. Tiene una forma hexagonal.
Junto a ella estaba una de las puertas de acceso a la ciudad, la que hoy llamamos Postigo del Carbón, llamada así por estar en la antigua Calle del Carbón.
Pero este postigo ha tenido varios nombres a lo largo de su historia: Postigo de las Atarazanas (muy cerca están las Atarazanas), Postigo del Oro (el oro americano entraba por este lado del río) o Postigo de los Azacanes (aguadores que llevaban agua del río a la ciudad). Pero ha prevalecido para la historia el más feo de ellos, Postigo del Carbón.
.
In some occasions we have spoken about the famous Tower of the Gold that is close to the Guadalquivir river. The above mentioned tower, with defensive character, concerned to the walls almohades of the city.
To few meters of the Tower of the Gold, and also belonging to the defensive walls, there was the Tower of the Silver (13th century) that for being more austere than the first one and less beautiful it took a name of minor category, less golden and more silver.
The Tower of the Silver was restored in 1992 when the whole Seville was embellished to receive the tourists for the Universal Exhibition of the above mentioned year. It has a hexagonal form.
Together with it, there is one of the doors for accessing to the city, which today we call Shutter of the Coal, because of the former Street of the Coal.
But this shutter has had several names along its history: Shutter of the Dockyards (because it is next to the Arsenal), Shutter of the Gold (the American gold was entering along this side of the river) or Shutter of the Azacanes (water carriers that were taking water of the river to the city). But it has prevailed for the history the ugliest of them, Shutter of the Coal.

viernes, 29 de abril de 2011

La entrada gótica de la Iglesia de San Martín.



La Iglesia de San Martín tiene dos entradas, una, utilizada habitualmente en unos de sus fachadas laterales que da a la Plaza de San Martín; y otra, más antigua que está en a los pies de la misma iglesia y que tiene su fachada en la Calle Divina Enfermera.
A la segunda nos vamos a referir en el día de hoy. La Iglesia de San Martín es de uno de los escasos templos góticos de Sevilla que nos han llegado hasta nuestros días (junto con la Iglesia de Santa Ana o la propia Catedral).
Su construcción debió de realizarse durante el siglo XV y se cree que en ella intervino Alonso Rodríguez, "Maestro Mayor" de la propia Catedral hispalense encargándose del cerramiento de sus bóvedas.
La foto de hoy nos muestra una portada gótica muy modesta con doble arco apuntado que se adelanta respecto al paramento principal y se remata superiormente con un sencillo tejaroz.
.
The Church of St Martin has two income, one, used habitually in one of the lateral walls that is in St Martin Square; and other one, more ancient that it is in to the feet of the same church and that has its wall in the Divina Enfermera Street.
To the second one we go to speak about today. The Church of St Martin is of one of the scanty Gothic temples from Seville that have come to us to the present day (together with the Church of Holy Ana or the own Cathedral).
The construction had to do during the 15th century and it is believed that in it intervened Alonso Rodríguez, "Major Architect Teacher" of the own Sevillian Cathedral taking charge of the closing the vaults.
The today photo shows us a  very modest Gothic front door with double pointed arch that is finished off with a simple roof.

jueves, 28 de abril de 2011

Pero nadie, nadie...



En la entrada del Hospital de la Caridad podemos encontrar este azulejo recordándonos nuestra obligación.
.
"Nobody will be able to go into this holy house without to talk before with the doorman".
In the entry of the Hospital of the Charity we can find this marble advertisement  remembering our obligation.

miércoles, 27 de abril de 2011

La portada de la Feria ya está preparada.



La portada de la feria 2011 conmemora la primera circunnavegación a la Tierra. 
"La vuelta a Sevilla en un mundo", será el lema de la portada de Feria de 2011, con la que se pretende conmemorar el quinto centenario de la primera circunnavegación de la Tierra. Quinientos años que se cumplirán en 2019.
En tonos azules, que recuerdan el color del mar, la portada tendrá tres grandes arcadas (como es habitual) sobre las que reposarán tres grandes circunferencias, en una de las cuales está representada la nao Victoria con unos leves trazos amarillos. La circunferencia central, que es la de mayor tamaño, es una rosa de los vientos con el anagrama del Ayuntamiento. Remata el conjunto el logo de Sevilla 2019-2022, justo las fechas de conmemoración de la salida y vuelta de la citada nao de su periplo por el mundo, compuesto por una esfera diseñada a partir de un ovillo. Además, la decoración de la portada está inspirada en elementos del mundo naval.
La portada de este año tiene 250.000 kilos de peso y unas dimensiones de 51 metros de ancho por 43 de alto. Cada arco tendrá unos 11 metros de alto.
Retrocedemos en el tiempo hasta ver una Sevilla en pleno apogeo comercial, totalmente amurallada y siendo el centro de la navegación y el comercio con las Indias…
El 10 de agosto de 1519, la Armada de la Especiería, capitaneada por Magallanes y compuesta por cinco naos, partió del Puerto de Sevilla con 243 tripulantes a bordo. Regresó al mismo puerto el 8 de septiembre de 1522 únicamente la nao Victoria que, capitaneada por Elcano, culmina la primera vuelta al mundo, dejando tras de sí una estela de casi 40.000 millas navegadas por todos los océanos del mundo.


The special door of the 2011 Fair commemorates the first circumnavigation to the Earth. 
"The return to Seville in a world", it will be the motto of the special door of 2011 Fair, with which one tries to commemorate the fifth centenary of the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Five hundred years that will be fulfilled in 2019.
Made In blue colors, which remember the color of the sea, the special door will have three big arcades (like it is habitual) on that three big circumferences will rest, in one of which is represented the the vessel Victory with a few slight yellow outlines. The central circumference, which is of major size, is a rose of the winds with the anagram of the Town Hall. The logo of Seville finishes off the set 2019-2022, just the dates of commemoration of the exit and return of the mentioned vessel of his periplus for the world composed by a sphere designed from a ball. In addition, the decoration of the special door is inspired in elements of the naval world.
The special door of this year takes 250.000 kilos of weight and a few dimensions of 51 meters of width as 43 of high place. Every arch will have approximately 11 meters of high place.

martes, 26 de abril de 2011

Monumento a la afición bética.



En la esquina de la Avenida de la Palmera con la Calle padre García Tejero podemos ver esta mole de bronce que levantó el Real Betis con motivo de su centenario en Septiembre de 2007.
Fue obra de Juan Antonio Navarro Arteaga. Tiene 6,2 metros de largo y 5,8 de altura. Pesa más de ocho mil kilos, que representa a todas las generaciones de béticos con una simbología muy especial inspirada en la consecución de la Liga en el 1935.
En el monumento hay trece figuras de niños, mayores y ancianos (trece barras tiene el escudo verdiblanco) portando una gran bandera.
.
On the corner between Palmeras´s Avenue and Padre García Tejero Street we can see this mass of bronze that the Real Betis raised on the occasion of his centenary in September, 2007.
It was a Juan Antonio Navarro Arteaga's work. It has 6,2 meters of length and 5,8 of height. It weighs more than eight thousand kilos, which it represents all the generations of betis´s fun with a very special symbol inspired by the winners of the League in 1935.
In the monument there are thirteen people: children's, major and elderly (thirteen bars has the shield) carrying a great flag.

lunes, 25 de abril de 2011

El Señor de Sevilla.



La Semana Santa ya finalizó ayer. El Domingo de Resurrección es día de fiesta para los creyentes y de jolgorio y algarabía en las iglesias donde se pueden ver de cerca todos los pasos que han salido (o no) a procesionar por las calles de nuestra ciudad.
Ayer, la Basílica del Gran poder estaba repleta de fieles para rendir homenaje al Señor de Sevilla y para verlo de cerca sobre su canastilla impoluta. Junto a él, en el paso de palio, estaba San Juan consolando a la Virgen del Mayor Dolor y Traspaso.


The Holy Week already finished yesterday. The Easter Sunday is a holiday for the believers and of merriment and gabble day in the churches where can be seen closely all the religious images that have gone out (or not) to do the penitent way for the streets of our city.
Yesterday, the Basilica of the Jesus of Great Power was replete with public inspectors to produce honoring to the Master of Seville and to see it closely on his unpolluted high place. Together with him, in the canopy place, San Juan was consoling the Virgin of the Major Pain and Transfer.

domingo, 24 de abril de 2011

El Candelabro de las Tinieblas.



Todas las Hermandades de la Semana Santa de Sevilla que hacen la Carrera Oficial deben entrar en el Templo Catedralicio. Allí, junto a la portada de la Asunción, les espera el "Candelabro de las Tinieblas" o "Candelabro Tenebrario".
El candelabro de tinieblas o tenebrario de la Catedral es una obra magna realizada en bronce de 7,80 metros de altura, ejecutada entre 1559 y 1564. Fue diseñada por el arquitecto Hernán Ruiz II, Maestro Mayor de las catedrales de Córdoba y Sevilla, y fundida por los rejeros Pedro Delgado y Bartolomé Morel.
Los entalladores Juan Gitralte y Juan Bautista Vázquez el Viejo y el policromador Juan Marín realizaron las esculturas de madera que lo rematan y sirven de base a los cirios, que eran de ocho libras. Representan al apostolado, a los evangelistas Marcos y Lucas y a la Virgen en la cúspide.
El tenebrario (Candelabro del Oficio de Tinieblas) en su versión final canónica tiene quince velas: nueve de los tres salmos de cada uno de los tres nocturnos de maitines, más cinco de los cuatro salmos y el cántico del Antiguo Testamento de laudes y una del cántico evangélico de laudes: el Benedictus.
Cuando se impone la interpretación alegórica, a este candelabro se le da también un rico simbolismo: su forma triangular recuerda a la Santísima Trinidad; las primeras catorce velas representan a los once Apóstoles y a las tres Marías; la luz de la cúspide representa a Cristo, que acaba venciendo las tinieblas del pecado y de la muerte, o la Virgen María, que siempre creyó y esperó el triunfo de su Hijo.
Los maitines y laudes del triduo sacro, correspondientes al Jueves, Viernes y Sábado Santos, se llaman Oficio de tinieblas.


All the Brotherhood of the Holy Week of Seville that do the Official way must go into the Cathedral Temple. There, close to the front Door of the Asuncion, it is the "Candelabrum of the dark".
The Candelabrum of the dark of the Cathedral is a great work realized in bronze of 7,80 meters of height, executed between 1559 and 1564. It was designed by the architect Hernán Ruiz II, Major Teacher of the cathedrals of Cordova and Seville, and fused by the grating artist Pedro Delgado and Bartolomé Morel.
The sculptors Juan Gitralte and Juan Bautista Vázquez "the old one" and the policromy artist Juan Marín realized the sculptures of wood that finish off and use like base to the candles, which were eight pounds weights. They represent the apostolate, the Evangelists Marcos and Lucas and the Virgin in the apex.
The Candelabrum of the dark in its final canonical version has fifteen candles: nine of three psalms of each one of three nocturnes of matins, plus five of four psalms and the canticle of the Former Testament of lutes and one of the evangelical canticle of lutes: the Benedictus.
When the allegoric interpretation is imposed, to this candelabrum  is given a rich symbolism also: the triangular form remembers to the Holiest Trinidad; the first fourteen candles represent eleven Apostles and the three Marías; the light of the apex represents Christ, who ends up by conquering the glooms of the sin and of the death, or the Virgin Mary, which always believed and waited for the victory of his Son.
The matins and lutes of the sacred triduo, corresponding to the Thursday, Friday and Saturday Saints, are called a trade of glooms.

sábado, 23 de abril de 2011

Cuando Jesús fue prendido.



Nuestro Padre Jesús del Soberano Poder en su Prendimiento sí pudo hacer su estación de penitencia. Salió el Miércoles Santo, cuando el agua dio una tregua a nuestra Semana Santa.
Ahora lo podemos ver en su Capilla de San Andrés de la Calle Orfila. La imagen de Jesús fue realizada por Castillo Lastrucci y resalta su mansa y serena actitud, permaneciendo erguido, tranquilo y con las manos abiertas en actitud de entregarse a la turbamulta que se disponía a prenderle. Su rostro nos conmueve por la misericordiosa expresión que emana de su entristecida mirada y anhelantes labios entreabiertos.
Jesús está acompañado de San Juan, San Pedro y Santiago, completa la escena Judas, dos sayones (uno con una tea y otro con una soga) y dos soldados romanos.
.
Our Father Jesus of the Sovereign Power in his Capture could do his station of penance. The Holy Wednesday went out to the Seville´s street, when the water gave a truce to our Holy Week.
Now we can see it in San Andrés's Chapel in Orfila Street.
Jesus' image was realized by Castillo Lastrucci and highlights his tame and serene attitude, remaining raised, calmly and with the hands opened in attitude of submitting to the crowd that was preparing to catch him. His face affects us for the compassionate expression that comes from his saddened look and panting half-open lips.
Jesus is accompanied with San Juan, San Pedro and Santiago, Judas completes the scene, two executioners (one with a torch and other one with a rope) and two Roman soldiers. 

viernes, 22 de abril de 2011

No pudo salir.



Como todas las cofradías del martes y del jueves santo, las cofradías de la "madrugá" tampoco tuvieron el tiempo meteorológico de cara.
Nuestro padre Jesús Nazareno de la Hermandad de El Silencio se quedó en su iglesia de San Antonio Abad. Sevilla no pudo disfrutar de su noche grande, la noche que compila todos los tonos de vivir la Semana Santa, desde el más radical de los silencios hasta el más fervoroso de los aplausos.
El Silencio, el Gran Poder, la Esperanza Macarena, la Esperanza de Triana, el Calvario y Los Gitanos aplazaron su estación de penitencia hasta el próximo año. Sus fieles seguimos visitándoles en sus respectivas iglesias.
.
Like all the Holy Tuesdays and Thusrday´s Brotherhood, the Brotherhood of the "madrugá" (night from Thursday to Friday) did not have the meteorological weather good.
Our father Jesus Nazareno of the Brotherhood of The Silence remained in his church of San Antonio Abad. Seville could not enjoy of this big night, the night that compiles all the tones of living the Holy Week, from the most radical of the silences up to the most fervent of the plaudits.
The Silence, the Great Power,  La Esperanza Macarena, Triana's Esperanza, the Calvary and The Gypsies Brotherhoods postponed their station of penance until the next year. We are still visiting them in their respective churches.

jueves, 21 de abril de 2011

Jesús Cautivo.



Es la imagen de "Jesús Cautivo en el abandono de sus discípulos" a su paso por la Puerta de Jerez en la vuelta hacia su templo.
Pertenece a la Hermandad de Santa Genoveva y refleja el momento en que Jesús, tras ser apresado, siendo cautivo de las tropas romanas queda en soledad.
.
It is the image of "Jesus Cautivo in the abandon of his disciples" to the way along the Door of Sherry in the return towards his temple.
It belongs to the Brotherhood of Holy Genoveva and reflects the moment in which Jesus, after being caught, being captive of the Roman troops stays in loneliness.

miércoles, 20 de abril de 2011

¿Quién se esconde tras la palmera?



El pasado domingo, sobre el paso de la Hermandad de la Borriquita pudimos ver a todas las figuras que en él se nos muestra: Jesús sobre un borrico, otro pollino, San pedro, Santiago, San Juan, un judío, una hebrea, dos niños, una niña y una misteriosa figura que se esconde subido al tronco de la palmera.
¿Quién es esta figura que parece espiar los movimientos del Maestro?.
Era el enano Zaqueo, un desecho social porque a su limitada estatura se unía su profesión de cobrador de impuestos (publicano) y ser rico.
Sin embargo, Jesús, aún conociendo las circunstancias, quiso y se autoinvitó a comer en casa de este pecador.
Tras esta visita, Zaqueo se convirtió y dio su fortuna a los pobres.

El Evangelio de San Lucas dice así (19, 1-10):
Entró en Jericó y cruzaba la ciudad. Había un hombre llamado Zaqueo, que era jefe de publícanos, y rico. Trataba de ver quién era Jesús, pero no podía a causa de la gente, porque era de pequeña estatura. Se adelantó corriendo y se subió a un sicómoro para verle, pues iba a pasar por allí. 
Y cuando Jesús llegó a aquel sitio, alzando la vista, le dijo: «Zaqueo, baja pronto; porque conviene que hoy me quede yo en tu casa.».
Se apresuró a bajar y le recibió con alegría. Al verlo, todos murmuraban diciendo: «Ha ido a hospedarse a casa de un hombre pecador.».
Zaqueo, puesto en pie, dijo al Señor: «Daré, Señor, la mitad de mis bienes a los pobres; y si en algo defraudé a alguien, le devolveré cuatro veces más.»
Jesús le dijo: «Hoy ha llegado la salvación a esta casa, porque también éste es hijo de Abrahán, pues el Hijo del hombre ha venido a buscar y salvar lo que estaba perdido
.
Last Sunday, on the religious place of the Brotherhood of the Borriquita we could see to the next sculptures: Jesus on a donkey, another donkey, Saint Peter, Saint James, Saint John, a Jew, a Hebrew, two children, a girl and a mysterious figure that one hides raised to the trunk of the palm.
The one who is this figure that seems to spy on the movements of the Teacher?.
He was the dwarf Zaqueo, a social waste because of his limited stature, his collector's profession of taxes (publican) and to be rich.
Nevertheless, Jesus, still knowing the circumstances, wanted to eat in house of this sinner.
After this visit, Zaqueo turned and gave to the poor people his fortune.

martes, 19 de abril de 2011

Llevando nuestra cruz.



Este es el mensaje que nos transmite los Evangelios. Jesús llevó su cruz para salvar a la humanidad.
Son diferentes los pasajes evangélicos que están representados en la Semana Santa de Sevilla, pero esta imagen, que pertenece a la Hermandad de San Roque, en la que Simón el Cirineo ayuda a Jesús en su pesada carga camino del Gólgota, centra el principal mensaje divino de nuestras escrituras: Jesús vino al mundo a llevar nuestro peso y a morir en la cruz por todos nosotros.
.
This is the message that transmits the Gospels. Jesus took his cross to save the humanity.
There are different the evangelical passages that are represented in the Holy Week of Seville, but this image, which belongs to San Roque's Brotherhood, in which Simón the Cirineo helps Jesus in his heavy load way to the Gólgota Mount, centres the principal divine message of our biblical writings: Jesus came to the world to take our weight and to die in the cross for all of us.

lunes, 18 de abril de 2011

Entrada a los palcos.



La Carrera Oficial de la Semana Santa de Sevilla es el camino que debe seguir obligatoriamente cada una de las Hermandades que procesionan camino a la Santa Catedral de Sevilla. La Carrera empieza en La Campana, continua por Calle Sierpes, entra en la Plaza de San Francisco (los palcos) donde esperan las autoridades civiles, pasa a la Avenida de la Constitución y finaliza en el templo catedralicio.
En la imagen vemos a la Virgen del Subterráneo entrando en los palcos con el edificio Laredo al fondo.
.
The Official Way of the Holy Week of Seville is the way that must continue necessarily each of the Fraternity that go out to the Holy Cathedral of Seville. The Career begins in The Campana, continues for Sierpes Street, goes the San Francisco Square ("the boxes for the important people") where the civil authorities wait for, goes on to the Avenue of the Constitution and finishes in the cathedral temple.
In the image we see the Virgin of the Subteraneo passing to the boxes with the building Laredo to the bottom.

domingo, 17 de abril de 2011

La borriquita.



Es la Hermandad más esperada por todos los niños, "La borriquita", como popularmente se le conoce. No es la primera que sale de su templo pero sí es la primera que llega a la Carrera Oficial.
Su iconografía nos recuerda a Jesús entrando en Jerusalén a lomos de una borriquita, seguido por los apóstoles y por el pueblo hebreo.
Sobre la canastilla podemos, junto a Jesús, ver a otra burrita, San Pedro y Santiago, San Juan, un judío, una hebrea, dos niños, una niña y el enanito Zaqueo subido a una palmera.
.
It is the Brotherhood most waited by all the children, "The borriquita" (the small donkey), like popularly it is known. It is not the first one that goes out of its temple but it is the first one that comes to the Official Way.
Its iconography resembles us Jesus going into Jerusalem to loins of a donkey, followed by the apostles and by the Hebrew people.
On the place we can, together with Jesus, see another small donkey, San Pedro and Santiago, San Juan, a Jew, a Hebrew, two children, a girl and the dwarf Zaqueo raised to a palm.

sábado, 16 de abril de 2011

Las sillas.




La Semana Santa ha llegado a Sevilla. La ciudad se viste de gala para recibir a Jesús. Una semana entera, una semana de Pasión que nos permite rememorar los últimos ocho días de la vida de Cristo a la manera que lo hace Sevilla, en la calle.
En la foto vemos los preparativos de las sillas de la carrera oficial. Unas sillas que, todos los años, esperan a las hermandades que desde el Domingo de Ramos al Domingo de Resurrección pasarán por delante de ellas.
.
The Holy Week has come to Seville. The city dresses itself to receive Jesus. A complete week, a week of Passion that allows us to recall last eight days of Christ's life to the way that it does Seville, in the street.
In the photo we see the preparations of the chairs of the official way. A few chairs that, every year, hope for the fraternity that from the Palm Sunday to the Easter Sunday will go on ahead from them.

viernes, 15 de abril de 2011

La nueva Plaza Mayor.




En España, desde el medievo, hemos dado el nombre de Plaza Mayor a aquellos lugares que eran el centro social y economico de los pueblos y ciudades.
En Sevilla le hemos dado el nombre de "Plaza Mayor" a este espacio que, superpuesto al nuevo mercado de la Encarnación está sobrevolado por este inmenso y llamativo edificio.
Bien es cierto que, aunque está inaugurado por las autoridades, aún no ha sido terminado y no está operativo al cien por cien. Esto no es óbice para que se haya convertido, en tan poco tiempo, en un icono de la moderna Sevilla.


Opiniones y gustos hay para repartir, a unos le gustan, a otros, no. Edificios de diseños atrevidos hemos visto unos cuantos en nuestro país en las últimas dos décadas. Al principio, el resultado es chocante a la vista, pero el tiempo nos dará un motivo más para defender la belleza de nuestra ciudad en la Plaza de la Encarnación, ahora acompañada por la Plaza Mayor.
El nombre del edificio completo es el de Metropol Parasol, pero el ingenio sevillano ya le ha dado el sobrenombre (no tengan ustedes dudas de que éste será el que perdurará) de las "Setas de la Encarnación". Sus instalaciones albergan un mercado con locales comerciales y de restauración, una plaza de espectáculos, un mirador y el museo Antiquarium.


In Spain, the name of Plaza Mayor is given to squares that had the origin or in the medieval age or in the later centuries until the XVIIIth approximately.
In Seville we have given the name of "Plaza Mayor" to this space that, superposed to the new market of the Incarnation is overflown by this immense and showy building.
Well it is true that, though it is inaugurated by the authorities, it still has not been finished and is not operative to cent per cent. This is not an obstacle in order that it has turned, in a little time, into an icon of the modern Seville.


Opinions and tastes there are a lot of to distribute, to some people like it and others not. Buildings of bold designs we have seen a few in our country in the last two decades. Initially, the result is shoking at sight, but the time will give us one more motive for defending the beauty of our city in the Plaza de la Encarnacion, now accompanied by the Plaza Mayor.
The name of the complete building is "Metropol Parasol", but the Sevillian ingenuity already has given it the nickname (you do not have doubt that this one will be the one that will stay for ages) of the "Mushrooms of the Incarnation Square". In it there is a market with shops and restaurants, a square of spectacles, a viewing-point on the top and the museum Antiquarium.

jueves, 14 de abril de 2011

La estrella de San Isidoro.



En otras ocasiones hemos hecho referencia a la siempre interesante Iglesia de San Isidoro comentando las múltiples muestras de belleza y distinción que tiene esta casa de Dios de estilo gótico-mudéjar.
Hoy cubrimos este espacio con un detalle de su portada-campanario que llama la atención por ser un símbolo judío sobre una iglesia cristiana: la estrella de David (Maguen David) que está justo encima del arco ojival que enmarca la puerta de entrada.
Una estrella de seis puntas que, como dice la tradición judáica, simboliza a Dios que reina sobre el universo y nos protege en todas las direcciones. El Maguen David tiene seis puntas porque ninguna dirección (norte, sur, este, oeste, arriba y abajo) escapan de la misericordia de Dios.
Lo cierto es que San Isidoro, al igual que pasa con la cercana Iglesia de San Bartolomé, está situada en el antiguo barrio judío de la ciudad. Ambas iglesias tienen símbolos judíos en sus edificios. Y yo me pregunto, ¿será por olvido o por recuerdo?.
.
In other occasions we have referred to San Isidoro's Church, commenting on the multiple samples of beauty and distinction that  this church of origin Gothic-Spanish Muslim has.
Today we bring to this place a detail of the front door-belfry that takes the attention for being a Jewish symbol: the star of David (Maguen David) that is just on the ogival arch that frames the door of entry.
A star of six tops that, like the jewish tradition says, God reigns on the universe and protects us in all the directions, the Maguen David has six tops because no direction (north, south, this, west, above and below) escape of the God's mercy.
The certain thing is that San Isidoro´s Church, as it happens with San Bartholome´s Churrch, they are placed in the former Jewish neighborhood of the city. Both have Jewish symbols. And I wonder, will it be because of forgetfulness or memory?

miércoles, 13 de abril de 2011

La tumba de un loreño, el Cardenal Cervantes.



Es Sevilla muy dada a dar excelsa sepultura a quienes defendieron o engrandecieron su nombre desde una u otra posición social, artística, política o militar.  Con la religión no iba a ser menos. Son varios los obispos y cardenales que tienen su sepultura en algunas de la iglesias de nuestra ciudad. Hoy nos vamos a referir a la sepultura del Cardenal Cervantes, Don Juan de Cervantes y Bocanegra.

Esta sepultura realizada en alabastro por Lorenzo Mercadante de Bretaña entre los años 1453 y 1458 está situada en la Capilla de San Hermenegildo de nuestra Magna y Santa Catedral.

Don Juan nació en Lora del Río, un pueblecito de Sevilla en el que el Cardenal (y el que escribe estas líneas) tuvo el gusto de nacer en el año de 1382.

En Sevilla estudió y obtuvo el grado de doctor en derecho.

En 1424, siendo arcediano de Calatrava, cargo recibido en 23 de enero de 1415, habló en el Concilio de Siena defendiendo las tesis de la superioridad del Papa sobre el concilio, tesis grata al Papa Martín V, contra la doctrina conciliarista, por lo que Martín V le hizo Cardenal de San Pedro ad Vincula en 1426. Desde entonces vivió vinculado a Italia bajo el regazo de los Papas. Allí aprendió los entresijos del poder eclesiástico.

Fue Obispo de Ávila y Segovia. También de Ostia y Velletri.

Volvió a Sevilla para ejercer de Cardenal los últimos cuatro años de su vida, hasta 1453 donde su luz se apagó para siempre.

A su muerte le sucedió Alonso de Fonseca y Ulloa.
.
It is Seville very devoted to give lofty grave to whom defended or enlarged its name from one or another social, artistic, political or military position. With the religion it was not going to be less.
There are different the Cardinals who have his grave in some of the iglesias of our city. Today we go away to recounting to the grave of the Cardinal Cervantes, Don Juan de Cervantes y Bocanegra.
This grave realized in alabaster by Lorenzo Mercadante of Brittany between the year 1453 and 1458 is placed in San Hermenegildo's Chapel in our Great and Holy Cathedral.
Don Juan was born in Lora del Rio, a small village of Seville in which the Cardinal (and the one who writes these lines) was born in the year of 1382.
In Seville he studied and obtained the degree of Doctor in Law.
In 1424, being an archdeacon of Calatrava, he spoke in Siena's Council defending the theses of the superiority of the Pope on the council, pleasing thesis to the Pope Martin V, against the council doctrine.
Because of it, Pope Martin V made him San Pedro ad Vincula´s Cardinal  in 1426. Since then he lived linked through Italy under the lap of the Popes. There he learned the mesenteries of the ecclesiastic power.
He was a Bishop of Avila and Segovia. Also of Ostia and Velletri.
He returned to Seville to be Cardinal last four years of his life, until 1453 where his light went out forever.
To his death Alonso de Fonseca and Ulloa happened to him.

martes, 12 de abril de 2011

Los Incas de la Magdalena.



Allá por el siglo XVII, Leonardo de Figueroa obtuvo un gran renombre como arquitecto en nuestra ciudad. A la elevación del Hospital de los Venerables y del Hospital de la Caridad pronto pudo añadirle a su palmarés la construcción de una iglesia para los Dominicos, la Iglesia de la Magdalena.
La antigua se había derrumbado el primer Domingo del Adviento de 1691 y los Dominicos tuvieron mucha prisa con la construcción del nuevo templo: era una cuestión de prestigio, ya que era importante superar arquitectónicamente los templos de sus rivales, los Franciscanos y los Jesuitas. Figueroa hace construir un edificio barroco y soberbio según el trazado de una basílica de tres naves.
En el edificio todo es magnífico, pero lo que más me llamó la atención fue su cúpula, octogonal, que tiene unos detalles decorativos de tipo indiano y que nos recuerda a los incas que veíamos en las fotografías de nuestros libros de texto cuando se estudiaba la Conquista de América.
Estos detalles están encima de la cúpula, en la linterna, también octogonal donde hay ocho figuras de pie talladas sobre la piedra del propio edificio. A pocos metros hay también unas máscaras con colores muy vivos.
Lástima que desde la propia calle no se puedan apreciar estos detalles. El arquitecto quiso con estas piezas recordar la labor evangelizadora dominica en el Nuevo Mundo. Pero lo situó tan alto que la distancia hasta nuestros ojos las hagan pasar desapercibidas.


In the 17th century, Leonardo de Figueroa obtained a great renown as architect in our city. To the elevation of the Hospital of the Venerable Fathers and of the Hospital of the Charity,  it could add to his record the construction of a church for the Dominicans, the Church of the Magdalena.
The former one had been ruined on the first Sunday of the Advent of 1691 and the Dominicans had great hurry to build the new temple: it was a question of prestige, since it was important to overcome architectonically the temples of their rivals, the Franciscans and the Jesuits. Figueroa makes construct a baroque and haughty building according to the tracing of a basilica of three zones.
In the building everything is magnificent, but what more was called me the attention was its dome, octogonal, that has a few decorative details of Indian style and that  resembles us the Incas that we saw in the photographies of our books when the Conquest of America was studied.
These details are on the dome, in the lantern, also octogonal where there are eight figures carved on the stone of the own building. To few meters there are also a few masks with very alive colors.
It is a pity that from the street these details could not be estimated well. The architect wanted, with these pieces to remember the evangelizing labor Dominican in the New World. But he placed it so highly that the distance up to our eyes make that they happen unnoticed.

lunes, 11 de abril de 2011

Cien días de indulgencias.



La capilla de la Hermandad de la Carretería está situada en la Calle Real de la Carretería, en pleno corazón del barrio de El Arenal.
Allí podemos ver esta placa de mármol fechada en el año 1731 y mandada colocar por el Cardenal de Sevilla en la que se da cien días de indulgencia plenaria.
El texto dice así:
"El eminentísimo señor Cardenal Don Carlos Borja concede cien días de indulgencia a todas las personas que devotamente rezaren una salve a esta divina imagen de Nuestra Señora de la Luz y rogaren a Dios Nuestro Señor por la exaltación de nuestra santa fe católica, extirpación de las heregías, paz y concordia entre los príncipes cristianos contra los enemigos de nuestra religión".
.
The chapel of the Brotherhood of the Carretería is placed in the  Calle Real de la Carretería, in full heart of the neighborhood of El Arenal.
There we can see this plate made in marble dated in the year 1731 and ordered to place there for the Cardinal of Seville where he gave to the people hundred days of plenary indulgence.
The text says this way:
"The most eminent gentleman Cardenal Don Carlos Borja grants hundred days of indulgence all the people who devoutly will pray to the divine image of the Lady of the Light and request to God for the exaltation of our holy catholic faith, extirpation of the heretic people, peace and concord between the Christian princes against the enemies of our religion".

domingo, 10 de abril de 2011

Las Bellas Artes (2).

Tras las imágenes de ayer, hoy podemos ver cuatro diosas que representan a otras tantas bellas artes: Literatura, Historia, Arqueología y Música.
La primera de ellas es la Literatura.


La segunda es la Historia.


La tercera es la Arqueología. Y la cuarta es la Música.


After the yesterday images, today we can see four goddesses who represent to some other fine arts: Literature, History, Archaeology and Music. The photos are for this same order.


sábado, 9 de abril de 2011

La Bellas Artes (1).



En la Plaza de América está el edificio del Museo Arqueológico por todos conocidos. Lo que nos abe ya tanta gente es que este edificio tuvo su origen en 1910 como el futuro Pabellón de las Bellas Artes de la Exposición Iberoamericana de 1929. También fue llamado Pabellón Renacentista por su estética.
Diseñado por Aníbal González, en sus paredes exteriores podemos ver ocho estatuas que representan a cada una de las Bellas Artes. Hoy vamos a conocer a cuatro de ellas: Escultura, Pintura, Cerámica y Arquitectura.
La primera foto pertenece a la diosa que representa a la Escultura. La segunda representa a la Pintura.


La tercera es la diosa de la Cerámica. Y la última la diosa que encarna a la Arquitectura.



In the America Square it is the building of the Archaeological Museum for all the people known. That so many people don´t know it is that this building had his origin in 1910 as the future Pavilion of the Fine Arts of the Latin-American Exhibition of 1929. Also it was called the Renaissance Pavilion by his aesthetics.
Designed by Aníbal Gonzalez, in its exterior walls we can see eight statues that represent to each of the Fine arts. Today we are going to know four of them: Sculpture, Painting, Ceramics and Architecture.
The first photo belongs to the goddess who represents to the Sculpture.
The second one represents to the Painting.
The third one is the goddess of the Ceramics.
And the last one is the goddess of the Architecture.

viernes, 8 de abril de 2011

El Pabellón de Perú.



Uno de los pabellones más bellos de la Exposición Iberoamericana de 1929 es el de Perú. Su mezcla de estilos de ambas márgenes del atlántico resulta de una vistosidad muy agradable.
El Pabellón de Perú es un extraño experimento "neoindigenista". Su autor, Manuel Piqueras Cotolí introduce elementos colonialistas españoles como las balconeras inspiradas en un palacio limeño, el Palacio Torre Tagle del Marques de Torre Tagle. También y que contiene reminiscencias mudéjares. El palacio original data de 1735.
Por otro lado la portada se inspira en la Escuela de Bellas Artes de Lima. El arquitecto, era español (Lucena), pero acumuló experiencia trabajado en Perú, donde realizo la citada Escuela de Bellas Artes o la plaza de San Martín, mezclando elementos andaluces como el ladrillo visto con decoración peruana, normalmente en piedra, esquema que se repite en el Pabellón.
.
One of the most beautiful pavilions of the 1929 Latin-American Exhibition is the pavilion of Peru. The mixture of styles of both margins of the Atlantic Sea gets a very agreeable view.
The Pavilion of Peru is a strange experiment "new indian". His author, Manuel Piqueras Cotolí introduces colonialist Spanish elements like the balconies inspired by an of Lima palace, the Palace Torre Tagle of the Marquess of Torre Tagle. Also it contains Muslim reminiscences. The original palace dates from 1735.
On the other hand the front door is inspired by the Art school of Lima. The architect, Spanish but he accumulated experience working at Peru, where he realized the mentioned Art school or the square of St Martin, mixing Andalusian elements like the brick with Peruvian decoration, normally in stone, scheme that repeats itself in the Pavilion.

jueves, 7 de abril de 2011

La Caridad.




El Hospital de la Caridad es una institución muy importante de Sevilla. Su origen está en el siglo XV y fue fundado, entre otros, por Don Miguel Mañara, público benefactor de los necesitados.
Fue fundado para asistir a enfermos abandonados y a dar enterramiento a ajusticiados y ahogados en el río, así como elevar sufragios por sus almas tras la muerte.
En su edificio arquitectónico destaca el patio de acceso, dividido en dos partes separadas por un pasaje volado sobre columnas.
El patio se encuentra flanqueado por tres de sus lados por columnas toscanas rematadas con arcos de medio punto y decorado con siete paneles de azulejos de 1700, de origen holandés, que representan escenas bíblicas que en un principio pertenecieron al Convento de los Descalzos de Cádiz.
En cada uno de los espacios del patio se levanta una fuente de mármol con grupos escultóricos de la Fe y la Caridad, respectivamente, realizadas en Génova en 1682.
Esta que vemos en la foto es la escultura que representa la Caridad, quien da nombre al Hospital.
.
The Hospital of the Charity is a very important institution in Seville. The origin is in the 15th century and it was founded, between others, by Don Michael Mañara, public benefactor of the needy ones.
It was founded to attend left patients and to giving burial to executed convicts and drowned in the river, as well as to raise suffrages for his souls after the death.
In the architectural building stands out the court of access, divided in two parts separated by a passage demolished on columns.
The court is flanked by three of its sides by columns toscanas finished off by round arches and set by seven panels in ceramic of 1700, from Dutch origin, which represent Biblical scenes that in a beginning belonged to the Convent of the Barefooted brothers of Cadiz.
In each of the spaces of the court a marble fountain gets up with sculptural groups of the Faith and the Charity, respectively, realized in Genoa in 1682.
This one that we see in the photo is the sculpture that represents the Charity, who gives name to the Hospital

miércoles, 6 de abril de 2011

Monumento a Fray Serafín.




En una de las zonas verdes de la rotonda que encarna el centro de la Gran Plaza, podemos ver este pequeño y sencillo monumento a Fray Serafín.
La placa que está bajo su imagen reza los siguiente: "Sevilla a Fray Serafín Madrid, estuvo con los marginados en su esperanza de justicia. Mayo 1982".
Fray Serafín murió el 26 de Septiembre de 1972 y dejó en Sevilla una profunda obra en favor de los marginados llegando a fundar la conocida asociación de "Teléfono de la Esperanza".
En su haber está la rehabiltación del Sanatorio de Nuestro Padre Jesús del Gran Poder, la creación de la Ciudad de San Juan de Dios y el impulso de la Formación Profesional especialmente en los marginados y los excluidos.
El monumento lo realizó Luís Álvarez Duarte y, en principio contó con la figura de dos niños (infancia desvalida y espereranza para la infancia) en la parte superior.
Desgraciadamente uno de ellos fue arrancado vandálicamente y aún no ha sido ni encontrado ni repuesto.
.
In one of the green spaces of the roundabout that personifies the center of the Great Plaza, we can see this small and simple monument dedicated to Monk Seraph.
The iron plate that is under his image says them following: "Seville to Monk Serafín Madrid, who was with the underprivileged people in their hope of justice. May, 1982 ".
Monk Seraph died On September 26, 1972 and left in Seville deep work in favor of the underprivileged people managing to found the known association of "Telephone of the Hope".
In his credit it is the rehabiltación of the Sanatorium of Our Father Jesus of the Great Power, the creation of the City of San Juan de Dios and the impulse of the Vocational training specially in the underprivileged persons and the excluded ones.
The monument was made by Luís Álvarez Duarte and, at first it possessed the figure of two children (helpless infancy and hope for the infancy) in the top.
Unfortunately one of them was lost and still not has been found not made again.

martes, 5 de abril de 2011

La Cruz de Culebras.



Sobre la esquina de la Iglesia del Salvador, justo en la confluencia de la Plaza del mismo nombre con la Calle Villegas, podemos ver este hermosa cruz de madera dentro de una enorme hornacina que la resguarda del viento y del agua.
Pero esta cruz, llamada Cruz de Culebras por estar situada en la antigua Calle Culebras, no siempre estuvo aquí. Como toda iglesia de los siglos XVI y XVII, la Iglesia del Salvador tenía su propio cementerio. Esta cruz era la que presidía dicho cementerio.
Con el paso del tiempo y la reurbanización de la ciudad, el cementerio tuvo que ser abandonado para dejar paso a nuevas edificaciones y mejorar el tránsito de persona, animales y carros, por lo que se le buscó nueva ubicación a la Cruz de Culebras.
Desde entonces podemos verla en el lugar que ocupa actualmente. Bajo su figura podemos ver una placa que recuerda la Ley XII del Rey Don Juan de la que hablamos hace unos días.
.
On the corner of the Church of the Salvador, just in the confluence of the Square of the same name with the Villegas Street, we can see beautiful cross made in wood inside an enormous niche that protects it from the wind and the water.
But this cross, so called Cross of Snakes, because it was placed in the former Snakes Street, not always was here.
Like any church of the XVIth and XVIIth century, the Church of the Salvador had its own cemetery. This cross was the one that was presiding at the above mentioned cemetery.
Along the time and the reurbanization of the city, the cemetery had to be left to open way to new buildings and to improve the people, animals and cars trafic, because of it a new location was looked to the Cross of Snakes.
Since then we can see her in the place that occupies nowadays. Under this croos we can see the "King Don Juan XI law" that we knew days ago.

lunes, 4 de abril de 2011

Las cruces barrocas del Arzobispo.



La Plaza Virgen de los Reyes, con la Catedral, el Convento de la Encarnación y el palacio Arzobispal forma el centro neurálgico religioso de nuestra ciudad.
De todos ellos, y dejando la Giralda a un lado, el que exteriormente llama más la atención es la entrada del Palacio del Arzobispo, una entrada barroca muy trabajada y, sin duda, uno de los máximos exponentes del barroco sevillano.
Dicha portada esta coronada por una cruz de hierro fundido de grandes dimensiones.
.
The Virgen de los Reyes Square, with the Cathedral, the Convent of the Incarnation and the Archepiscopal Palace form the neuralgic religious center of our city.
Of all of them, and leaving the Giralda aside, that externally calls more the attention is the entry of the Palace of the Archbishop, a baroque very worked stone and, this entry door is, undoubtedly, one of the maximum exponents of the Sevillian baroque.
The front entry is crowned by a cross made in cast iron with great dimensions.

domingo, 3 de abril de 2011

La cúpula del Casino de la Exposición.



El Teatro Lope de Vega conjuntamente con el Casino de la Exposición formaron el Pabellón de Sevilla en la Exposición Iberoamericana de 1929.
Entre ramas arbóreas, podemos ver la hermosa cúpula del edificio del Casino de la Exposición.
El edificio y, por tanto, también su cúpula, fue obra del arquitecto valenciano Vicente Traver y Tomás, quien utilizó elementos de estilo barroco, no sólo en la ornamentación, sino en todo el conjunto, especialmente en el salón circular del Casino que está bajo dicha cúpula.
.
The Theatre Lope de Vega and the Casino of the Exhibition formed the Seville´s Pavilion in the 1929 Latin-American Exhibition.
Between the big trees, we can see the beautiful dome of the building of the Casino of the Exhibition.
The building and, therefore, also his dome, it was a work of the Valencian architect Vicente Traver and Tomás, who used elements of baroque style, not only in the ornamentation, but in the whole set, specially in the circular lounge of the Casino that is under the above mentioned dome.

sábado, 2 de abril de 2011

¿Será por banderas?.



En la Calle Adriano, junto a la Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza y en el centro de uno de los barrios más visitados y pintorescos de la ciudad, podemos ver esta típica tienda de venta de souvenirs.
Lo que no es tan común es el despliegue de banderas, nacionales e internacionales, de los que hacen gala sus gestores.
.
In Adriano Street, close to the Maestranza Bullring and in the middle of one of the most visited and picturesque neighborhoods of the city, we can see this typical shop for sale of souvenirs.
What is not so common is the deployment of flags, national and international, that the managers display.